- Add a layer of the cake to the bottom of a large, clear trifle dish. Scatter over some of the rum or whiskey (if using), then add a layer of bananas.
- Beat the custard, cream cheese and half of the caramel sauce together in a bowl until thickened. Spread a layer over the bananas.
- Add a drizzle of the caramel sauce and some grated chocolate.
- Repeat these layers until you reach the top of the dish, then cover with whipped cream.
- Cover loosely with cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Finish with some crushed Digestive biscuits and extra grated chocolate just before serving.
For a more traditional Banoffee:
You can replace the Custard with Avonmore Fresh Cream whisked in step 2.
- 400g Madeira Cake, cut into cubes
- 4 tbsp Rum or whiskey (optional)
- 5-6 ripe bananas, peeled, cuts into chunks and frozen
- 500 ml of Avonmore Luxury Fresh Custard (Alternatively you can use Avonmore Fresh Cream for standard banoffee)
- 250g of cream cheese
- 1 tin of Carnation Caramel (alternatively you can use condensed milk and boil for 2.5-3 hours, ensuring it is simmering in water the whole time)
- 200g dark chocolate, grated, plus extra for topping
For The Topping:
- 1 tub of Avonmore Freshly Whipped Cream
- Digestives, crushed