Brown Bread Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5. Mix the breadcrumbs and the sugar together and spread them out on a baking tray. Bake in the oven until the sugar has melted and the breadcrumbs have caramelised (this is like making praline.) Allow to cool completely.
- Beat the egg yolks and honey in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are firm but not dry. Fold the thickened cream into the egg whites, then carefully fold this mixture into the egg yolks and honey. Stir in the caramelised breadcrumbs. Freeze the mixture until firm; this takes a few hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, take the ice cream out of the freezer and place in the fridge to soften slightly.
- 75g fresh brown breadcrumbs
- 75g demerara sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp honey
- 450ml Avonmore Double Cream, lightly whipped