Catherine Fulvio's Chocolate Berry Tart
To prepare the pastry:
- Place the plain flour into a bowl, rub the butter into the pastry so that it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the orange zest and icing sugar.
- Beat the egg yolk and pour into the flour, add in enough cold water to form pastry dough.
- Wrap the pastry in parchment and leave in the fridge for at least ½ an hour to rest before rolling out.
To bake the pastry:
- Line the base of a 20cm loose base deep flan tin with parchment and brush the sides with melted butter and dust with plain flour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Roll the pastry out thinly on a floured surface, large enough to fit into the flan tin comfortably and to line up the sides, leaving a little extra over the edge on top. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes and then trim off the top edges neatly with a sharp knife or the rolling pin.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork but don’t pierce all the way through.
- Line the pastry with parchment paper, fill with baking beans and bake for 16 minutes or until just baked through. Remove the parchment paper with the beans.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg white and return to the oven for about 8 minutes until lightly golden and set.
To prepare the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Then pour the Avonmore double cream, Avonmore fresh milk and vanilla extract into a large saucepan and heat until it just reaches boiling point.
- Place the chocolate drops, cinnamon and nut butter into a large bowl and then pour the hot cream/milk mixture over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- When slightly cooled, add the beaten eggs then pour the mixture into the baked pastry.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until set which will be about 15 to 16 minutes.
- Leave the tart to cool completely before decorating.
- Just before serving, to decorate, arrange the raspberries and strawberry halves around one side of the tart and place mini Easter eggs and sprigs of small lemon balm in between.
- Serve with Avonmore Freshly Whipped Cream.
Recipe: Catherine Fulvio.
For the pastry
- 200g plain flour
- 120g butter, chilled and diced small
- 1 medium orange, zest only
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 free range egg yolk
- 3 to 4 tbsp cold water or a little more
- 1 free range egg white, to glaze
For the filling
- 250ml Avonmore double cream
- 80ml Avonmore fresh milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280g dark chocolate, roughly broken or chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tbsp nut butter (any of your favourite flavours)
- 2 free range eggs, beaten
- 10 to 12 raspberries, to decorate
- 6 small strawberries, halved, to decorate
- Mini coloured Easter eggs, to decorate
- Small lemon balm sprigs, decorate
- Avonmore Freshly Whipped Cream, to serve