- Split the vanilla pod in half and add to a saucepan along with the milk, orange zest, and cinnamon sticks and bring just to the boil, and remove from heat and pass through a sieve.
- In a separate bowl beat together the egg yokes, sugar and cornflour.
- Gradually whisk in the warmed milk mixture until combined.
- Return mixture to a clean heavy saucepan and cook stirring continuously over a medium heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Allow to cool slightly, strain into a jug and pour into ramekins and allow to cool for 3 hours until set.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of caster sugar evenly over each ramekin and carmalise under the grill or a blowtorch. Serve with Avonmore dessert cream.
- 800ml Avonmore whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- Zest from 1 orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 egg yolks
- 200 g caster sugar
- 3 tbs corn flour
- 6 Tbsp caster sugar for caramelising the top