Hot Cross Buns
- Combine the yeast with the milk and one tablespoon of the sugar in a small bowl, stirring until the yeast has dissolved. Cover and leave to stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Sift the flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, salt and remaining sugar into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until combined.
- Stir in the sultanas, mixed peel and egg until incorporated. Stir in the yeast mixture and just enough water to bring the mixture together into a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface dusted with flour and knead for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel or cling film and leave to rise in a warm spot for about one hour or until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough and divide into about 18-20 balls. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and leave to rise again for about 20 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Whisk together the flour and syrup for the topping until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag, or into a plastic bag with a small corner snipped off. Pipe a cross onto the top of each bun.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden. Serve warm.
- 1 x 7g Sachet of Dried fast-acting yeast
- 250ml Avonmore Buttermilk
- 360g caster sugar
- 600g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 80g Avonmore Irish Butter, at room temperature, cubed
- 150g Sultanas
- 2 tsp mixed peel, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 80mls of warm water
For The Topping
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp golden syrup