Lemon Loaf Cake
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4 and line a loaf tin.
- Sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the Avonmore Butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy, then add the lemon zest.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well as you add them.
- Mix the lemon juice with the Avonmore Buttermilk, then fold the flour mixture into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Leave to sit for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Make the syrup by placing the ingredients into a small saucepan and heating until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pierce the cake several times with a skewer and pour the syrup slowly over the cake while it is still warm. Leave to cool.
- Make the icing by gradually adding the lemon juice to the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Spread the icing over the cake and leave to set before serving.
- 125g Avonmore Butter
- 200g plain flour
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 200g golden caster sugar
- Zest of 4 lemons
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 100ml Avonmore Buttermilk
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Pinch of salt
For the syrup
- 50g sugar
- Juice of 2 large lemons
For the icing
- 150g icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice