Perfect Victoria Sponge
For the perfect sponge everytime, it all depends on the weight of your eggs!
1. Weigh the eggs in order to determine the weight of the other core ingredients (For example – 4 eggs way 378g, your flour, butter and sugar with all weigh 378g each)
2. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale. Then beat in the eggs until thoroughly mixed.
3. Sieve in the flour and fold gently.
4. Divide the mixture into two 20cm tins and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. With a knife, poke through to the centre of the sponge and check the knife to ensure it is cooked through. Allow to cool for ten minutes.
5. With a spatula, lather the sponge with the jam. Spoon on the Whipped cream onto of the jam, and sprinkle your chopped fruit of choice on top.
6. Sandwich the two layers of sponge together, dust with icing sugar and serve!
- 4 eggs (Weigh these with the shell attached, your other ingredients should reflect that weight. For example – 4 eggs weigh 378g, your flour, butter and sugar will all weigh 378g each)
- Self-raising flour (same weight as your 4 eggs)
- Caster sugar (same weight as your 4 eggs)
- Avonmore unsalted butter (same weight as your 4 eggs)
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- 585ml pot of Avonmore Whipped Cream
- 1 jar of raspberry jam
- Fresh berries to decorate (we recommend raspberries or strawberries)