Portuguese Custard Tarts
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract and corn flour together in a metal bowl.
- In a separate saucepan bring the milk and cream to the boil.
- Remove the milk and cream mixture from the heat and gradually add to the egg and sugar bowl until well combined.
- Return to the heat in a clean saucepan over a medium heat until it comes to the boil and thickens.
- Transfer to a glass bowl and lay a layer of cling film on top to prevent a layer skin forming on the custard, and cool.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin with butter.
- Lay the pre rolled puff pastry out, remove the parchment paper on it and roll it up like a Swiss roll, cut into 12 even slices.
- Roll out each of the slices on a light floured work surface until they form a 10 cm disc.
- Gently press the pastry discs into the prepared muffin tins and spoon in the cooled custard.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the custard is set and golden brown and dust with icing sugar.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 120g caster sugar
- 30g cornflour
- 175ml full fat Avonmore milk
- 225g Avonmore cooking cream
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 300g ready rolled puff pastry
- Plain flour for rolling
- 1 tbs icing sugar for dusting