Tomato and Basil Soup
- Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and stir for 4 minutes over a medium heat without adding colour.
- Stir in the tomato puree & the tomato quarters. Add the sugar & stock, cover with a lid, increase the heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree the soup with a stick blender or alternatively in a food processor until it is completely smooth. Pass the soup through a sieve.
- Return the pureed soup to the saucepan, stir in the Avonmore cooking cream and reheat. Season the soup to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Ladle into warm serving bowls and sprinkle with the freshly chopped basil.
- 25g Avonmore butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ clove garlic finely chopped
- ½ tbsp tomato puree
- Pinch of sugar
- 900g/2lb fresh vine ripened tomatoes cut in quarters
- ½ organic chicken stock cube, dissolved in 100ml hot water
- 85ml Avonmore cooking cream
- ½ tsp freshly chopped basil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper