Zesty Lemon Tarts
To make the pastry:
- Add the flour into a food processor, then add the butter (cut into pieces) and blitz to fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and egg yolk and just enough water to bring the mixture to a firm dough, either in the machine or by hand. The less water you add, the better – too much will cause the pastry case to shrink as it bakes.
- Tip the dough on to a floured board, pat it into a round ball, then roll it out a little larger than a 24cm loose-bottomoed tart tin. Lift the pastry into the tin, pushing it well into the corners and making certain there are no holes. Trim away any overhanging pastry, then place it in the fridge for 20mins.
- Set the oven at 200°C. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Line the pastry case with foil, fill with baking-beans and slide it on to the hot baking sheet.
- Bake for 20mins, then remove from the oven and carefully lift out the beans and foil.
- Return the pastry case to the oven for 5mins or so, until the surface is dry to touch.
- Remove from the oven and set aside. Turn the oven down to 160°C.
To make the filling:
- Break the eggs into a bowl and add the egg yolk and caster sugar.
- Grate the lemon zest into the eggs and pour in the lemon juice.
- Whisk, by hand, until thoroughly mixed, then stir in the cream.
- Pour into the baked tart shell and slid carefully into the oven.
- Bake for 34-45mins, until the filling is lightly set. Ideally, the centre will still quiver when the tray is shaken gently.
- Serve with Avonmore Freshly Whipped Cream and strawberries.
For The Pastry
- 180g Plain Flour
- 90g Avonmore Butter
- 1tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
For The Filling
- 4 Eggs, plus 1 extra Egg Yolk
- 250g caster sugar
- Zest of 2 Unwaxed Lemons
- 160ml Lemon Juice
- 180ml Avonmore Double Cream
- Avonmore Freshly whipped cream