Bacon and Cabbage
- Take the outside leaves off the cabbage. Cut into four pieces and then chop into strips.
- Cut the bacon into fine slices.
- Melt a knob of the butter in a wide saucepan, add the bacon and cook on a high heat. You want the bacon to be slightly crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan. Add another knob of butter, allow to sizzle and drop the washed cabbage onto the pan.
- Season with salt and black pepper and add a little water (just enough to create a steam). Cook on a low to medium heat for 15 minutes or until soft. Do not use a lid or you will loose the colour. You may need to drizzle a little more water if the pan dries out.
- When the cabbage is almost cooked, add the cream, the rest of the butter and a little finely sliced red chilli.
- Bring to a simmer, add the bacon back into the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- 1 head of savoy cabbage or other Irish cabbage
- 1 pack of smoked bacon or rashers
- 50g Avonmore Butter
- 50mls Avonmore cooking cream
- a drizzle of water
- salt and pepper
- Some fresh red chilli