Chicken and Broccoli Bake
1. In a deep saucepan heat 500ml water and add the chicken, carrot, whole onion, celery, carrot and herbs. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook gently for 15 minutes
2. Add the broccoli to the pan and cook for a further 3-4 minutes
3. With a slotted spoon lift everything from the pan and into an ovenproof dish, about 20 x30cm in size. Discard the onion and celery.
4. Pour the Avonmore Cooking Cream into the cooking liquid and bring to a bubble
5. In a cup mix the cornflour with the milk until combined, pour this into the pan while stirring to thicken. Cook the sauce for about 2 minutes and season with salt, pepper and a knob of butter
6. Pour the sauce over the chicken and veggies, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and dot with butter
7. Cook in a pre-heated oven 200°C for 30 minutes
8. Serve with lots of green vegetables and crusty bread for a fab family meal.
For a gluten-free version, omit the breadcrumbs and cover instead with a grated hard cheese like Parmesan.
This is a really simple version of a classic and is makes the most of the ingredients. Poaching the chicken with the vegetables makes the most of the flavours and there’s no messy clean up!
- 4 free-range chicken breasts- cut into chunks
1 onion - peeled
2 sticks celery - halved
2 carrots, diced
1 head broccoli, about 200g – cut into small florets
Spring fresh thyme, a bay leaf
1 x 250ml carton Avonmore Cooking Cream
Salt and Pepper
1 heaped tblsp cornflour
3 tblsp Avonmore milk
25g Avonmore butter