Chicken Katsu Curry
- Flatten the chicken breasts. Place them in a bowl, pour over the Avonmore Buttermilk, add the curry powder, garlic and a pinch of salt, and toss to coat. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Spread the breadcrumbs onto a tray. Remove the chicken from the bowl, shake off the excess liquid, and toss in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- To make the sauce, chop the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and coriander stalks finely.
- Fry in a large pan on a med-low heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the spices for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the flour, then the mango chutney. Pour in 800ml of boiling water and leave to reduce for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste, season and add more mango chutney, if needed. Blend to a smooth consistency.
- Cook the rice according to the instructions.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes, or until golden and cooked through, turning after 6 minutes. Add more oil if required.
- Slice the chicken and place it on a plate with the rice, and spoon over the sauce. Sprinkle over the coriander leaves and serve with pickled onion.
- 4 x 150g free-range chicken breasts
- 250ml Avonmore Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons medium curry powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 120g panko breadcrumbs
- 300g basmati rice
- Vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1 medium carrot
- 30g fresh coriander
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon medium curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon mango chutney