Forest Fruit Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line two 20cm round cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar, reserving the two tablespoons, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour and baking powder and beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the milk until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared tins. Bake for 30-40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are baking, heat half of the berries in a saucepan over a low heat. Sprinkle over the two tablespoons of reserved sugar and simmer for 10 minutes until the berries are soft and syrupy.
- Strain the berries through a sieve, reserving the syrup. When the cakes are out of the oven, brush the syrup over the tops while they are cooling.
- Beat the cream and icing sugar for a few minutes until soft peaks form.
- Spread half of the cream over one of the cakes, then top with the other cake. Spread the remaining cream on top.
- Combine the softened berries with the remaining fresh ones. Pile them high into the centre of the cake before serving.
- 120g Avonmore Irish Butter, at room temperature
- 200g Sugar, plus 2 tbsp
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 190g Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 120ml Avonmore Fresh Milk
- 500g Mixed Berries
- 500 ml Avonmore Double Cream
- 50g icing sugar, sifted