Show Stopping Christmas Red Velvet Cake
Preheat the oven to 180 c. Grease and line 3 x 20cm cake tins with parchment.
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and cocoa into a bowl and set aside.
2. Pour the oil into the bowl of an electric mixer, add the granulated sugar and mix until pale. Add the eggs beating after each addition, then the red food colouring and vanilla.
3. Mix the coffee and buttermilk together. Add half to the oil and sugar mix and beat in, then half the dry ingredients.
4. Stir the vinegar into the remaining buttermilk mix and beat into the cake batter. Finish by folding in the remaining flour.
5. Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when pressed into its centre. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
6. To assemble, using a couple of large spoonful’s of icing, sandwich together the three layers and transfer to a cake stand. Ice the tops and sides.
7. Decorate with the crushed raspberry powder. Pipe rosettes of whipped cream on the top.
Serve with additional cream.
1. Beat together the icing sugar and the butter with an electric mixer.
2. Turn the mixer down to low, add the milk gradually until it has all been incorporated. Finally add the vanilla and then beat on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- 250g plain flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- 10g cocoa
- 240 ml sunflower oil
- 300g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp red gel food colour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 ml cold espresso
- 240 ml Avonmore buttermilk
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 x 229g Avonmore Cream, whipped
- Dehydrated raspberries, crushed, to garnish
- 500g icing sugar
- 160g Avonmore unsalted butter, softened
- 50 ml Avonmore milk
- A couple of drops of vanilla extract.