Strawberry Semifreddo Cake
- To prepare the biscuit base, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Line a 23cm springform tin with baking parchment.
- Separate the eggs, yolks in one large bowl and whites in another bowl. Add vanilla extract into the yolks and whisk until thick and fluffy.
- Add the egg whites into a bowl, whisk until soft peaks, add the caster sugar slowly until incorporated and fluffy.
- Fold the yolks and flour into the egg whites.
- Spread the mixture over the prepared springform tin and bake for 11 to 13 minutes until when pressed with your finger it releases. This is like a sponge finger base.
- Cool on a rack, take the cake base out of the tin.
- Brush the sides of the springform tin with oil, line the entire tin with plastic wrap. Peel the baking parchment off the cake base and place it back into the tin.
- For the semifreddo filling, firstly make crème anglaise by whisking the vanilla bean paste, egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until fluffy and pale. Heat the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat and slow pour into the egg mixture, whisking all the time. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat while stirring until thickened. Leave to cool completely.
- Separately, place strawberries into a blender with the icing sugar.
- Blend until smooth. Pour through a sieve.
- Whisk the Avonmore Double Cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold into the Avonmore Double Cream with the strawberry puree and the cold crème anglaise.
- Pour over the cake base in the prepared springform tin and place in the freezer overnight. Cover the top with plastic wrap after it has frozen slightly.
- To prepare the strawberry coulis, place the strawberries into a saucepan, add the sugar and orange juice, leave to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Leave to cool and then blend until smooth. Pour through a sieve into a jug.
- To assemble, unclip the tin and slide the semifreddo cake onto a cake stand.
- Spread Avonmore Whipped Cream on top.
- Arrange strawberries and mint leaves on top and drizzle the strawberry coulis over.
For the cake base
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g caster sugar
- 125g plain flour
For the semifreddo filling
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 egg yolks
- 70ml caster sugar
- 125ml milk
- 350g strawberries, washed and hulled
- 60g icing sugar
- 300ml Avonmore Double Cream
For the coulis
- 150g strawberries, washed and hulled
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 60g caster sugar
- 500g Avonmore Whipped Cream, for the top
- 250g strawberries, to decorate
- Mint leaves or sprigs, to decorate