Avonmore Christmas Yule Log
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/ Gas 5.
- Line a 35cm x24cm swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
To make the sponge, whisk the eggs and sugar until ribbon stage.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder together in a medium bowl.
- Carefully fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture with a large spoon or spatula ensuring not to beat the air out of the mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into the swiss roll tin and bake for about 8 to 9 minutes until the side start shrinking from the edge slightly.
- Place a piece of parchment paper larger than the swiss roll on a clean surface. Invert the cake onto the paper and carefully remove the parchment lining. Trim the edges with a sharp knife and score a line along the length of the sponge about 2cm in but not cutting though the sponge. This will help with rolling the sponge.
- Using the parchment paper, roll up the sponge with the paper inside. Set aside to cool.
- While the sponge is cooling, make the ganache, melt the chocolate and cream in a saucepan. Stirring most of the time. When melted, remove immediately form the heat and cool to room temperature and place into the fridge. The ganache should be able to be spooned into a piping bag easily.
- Uncurl the swiss roll, remove the parchment paper. Spread the custard over and re-roll firmly. Slice a ¼ of the cake off at one end at an angle. Transfer the large piece of cake to a serving platter or board and angle the cut end to the side of the log to form a branch.
- Spoon the ganache into a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm star nozzle and pipe lines along the cake to form bark or you can spread with a palette knife and use a fork to form the bark.
- Dust the board and log with cocoa powder.
- Arrange the meringue mushrooms near the log and dust the top of the mushrooms with a little cocoa powder. Place sprigs of rosemary over the board or platter.
- Arrange the pinecones and sprig of fir tree around the yule log on the board. Dust the top of the log with a little icing sugar and sprinkle a few pomegranate seed over.
For the sponge
- 4 large eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 70g flour
- 30g cocoa powder
For the filling
- 200ml Avonmore Custard
For the ganache
- 400g dark chocolate
- 400ml Avonmore Double Cream
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- Meringue mushrooms, to decorate
- 3 to 4 small pinecones
- A few small sprigs of fir tree
- 4 to 5 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds