Beef Stroganoff by Neven Maguire
- Sprinkle the steak with the paprika and season generously. Heat half the butter and oil in a frying pan, add the steak and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes until sealed and lightly browned. Tip on to a plate and set aside.
- Reheat a pan over a medium heat. Add the rest of the butter and oil and then add the shallot. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Increase the heat and add the crushed garlic & mushrooms to the pan. Season to taste, add the rest of the paprika and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add the white wine vinegar and allow to bubble right down, then add the wine with the stock, mustard and tomato puree, stirring to combine. Tip the sautéed beef back into the pan and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the cooking cream into the pan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for a couple of minutes and cook until sauce has thickened and slightly reduced. Garnish with some chopped parsley & serve with steamed rice.
- 450g (1lb) sirloin or rump steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp sweet paprika, plus a little extra to garnish
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 150g (5oz) button mushrooms, halved
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp white wine
- 150ml (1/4 pint) chicken stock
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 150ml (1/4 pint) Avonmore Cooking Cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300g steamed rice