Gingerbread, Apple and Brandy Cream Trifle
To make the Gingerbread Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.
- Grease and line 2 x 7” cake tins, set aside.
- Slowly heat the butter, sugar and treacle together in a non-stick saucepan, stirring until smooth. Allow to cool a little.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour and ground spices. Pour in the treacle mix and stir thoroughly to combine. then stir with the eggs. Mix well.
- Heat the milk gently in a saucepan, stirring gently to avoid it burning. Add the bicarb of soda and let it foam a little. Stir into the gingerbread mixture until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared tin(s). Bake for 25-30mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool fully then tear into medium-sized chunks, set aside.
To make the Apple Sauce:
- Add all ingredients into a medium, non-stick saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring often or until apples have softened but still a little firm - don’t allow the mixture to turn into a pulp.
- You want softened chunks of apple.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool fully. Remove cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise, discard.
To assemble the Trifle:
- Layer the bottom of a trifle dish with 1/4 of the apple, followed by 1/4 gingerbread pieces, then a layer of Avonmore Brandy cream, repeat a further 3 times until dish is full and ingredients used up.
- You can add a dusting of ground cinnamon to the top of the Avonmore cream if you like.
For the Gingerbread Cake:
- 250g Avonmore unsalted butter, softened
- 250g dark brown or muscovado sugar
- 120g black treacle
- 375g plain flour
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 300ml Avonmore milk
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
*Note: if you prefer you can use 3 x pre-bought Jamaican ginger cakes.
For the Apple Sauce:
- 6-8 Large Granny Smith apples. peeled and cored, cut into 1” cubes
- Knob Avonmore unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 star anise
You will also need:
- 2 X 585ml Tubs Avonmore Brandy Cream