Salted caramel sticky toffee pudding squares
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm square baking dish and line with parchment paper. Place the dates and the water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil for five minutes, then stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
- Transfer the dates and water to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Use an electric beater to cream the butter and sugar together over medium speed for about five minutes or until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until just combined. Add the date purée and mix until smooth.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in. Use a whisk to break up any lumps from the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 20 minutes, then use a skewer to poke holes into the top of the cake.
- Add all of the ingredients for the salted caramel sauce to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Simmer for five minutes, then remove from the heat. Pour half of the sauce over the cake, reserving the other half for serving.
- Leave the cake to cool to room temperature, then slice it into nine squares.
- Serve the cake with extra sauce poured over, a sprinkle of flaky salt and the Avonmore Baileys Whipped Cream.
For the pudding:
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g dates, pitted,
- 300ml water
- 180g dark brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 60g Avonmore Butter, at room temperature
- 170g self-rising flour
- 2 eggs
For the salted caramel sauce:
- 250ml Avonmore Fresh Cream
- 100g Avonmore Butter
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 170g treacle
- ¼ tsp flaky sea salt, plus extra for serving
- Avonmore Whipped Cream